Correct Way of Breathing - The Yoga Way
Find out if you breathe correctly:
- Sit on a chair/stool, preferably cross-legged on floor. If you have to do this standing up, that’s fine too.
- Close your eyes and keep them closed throughout the process. But close your eyes after reading rest of the instructions.
- Gently place your hands – one over the other – over your abdomen.
- Now take a few deep breaths. Gently inhale and exhale. Keep your mouth closed.
- Find your breath – your breathing should be deep but gentle and through the nose.
- Now observe your inhalation – does your abdomen go in or come out? If you can’t feel it, press your abdomen a little harder with your hands.
- If with every inhalation, your abdomen is going inwards (falling in) you are breathing incorrectly.
- The correct way to breathe is: with every inhalation, your abdomen should come out (rise) and with every exhalation, it should go in (fall).
- Don’t be disheartened if you just found out you breathe incorrectly.
- With conscious effort, you can correct your breathing in just 10 days.
- Imagine your abdomen is a balloon. To inflate a balloon, you have to blow in air; similarly to inflate your abdominal balloon, you have to blow the air into your body. In breathing words: every time you breathe in, your abdomen should come out (rise) and with every exhalation, your abdomen should go in (fall).
- If you can’t figure it out, lie down on a flat surface and place 2-3 books (not too heavy) on your abdomen. Now observe if your abdomen rises with every inhalation.
- With every breath of your waking moment, consciously breathe in air and inflate your abdominal balloon. Never use your mouth to breathe.
- Don’t think you CAN’T do it. You CAN! Just put your mind to it and breathe by the balloon analogy.